The City of Cambridge requires dog owners to have their dog licensed each year in accordance with By-law 172-13. A license also serves as another form of identification for your dog.
Providing your dog with proper identification significantly increases the likelihood that your dog will get home promptly if it strays or becomes lost.
- All dogs (older than 12 weeks/4 months of age) residing within the City of Cambridge are to be licensed and have their license tag affixed at all times.
- Dog owners are subject to a fine if the dog is not licensed as per City of Cambridge By-law # 172-13.
To help make licensing easier, dog owners can purchase tags, update information or order replacement tags using DocuPet’s online registration system.
A “free ride home” may be available for you if your dog ends up in the Cambridge City Pound if:
- Your dog is wearing a current/valid Cambridge City Tag
- Your dog is not causing a disturbance while loose
- Your dog is not a repeat visitor to the pound
Benefits of DocuPet Include:
- DocuPet membership includes your Municipal DOG Licence
- Online pet profile
- Personalizable Dog Tags with secure online profile
- The HomeSafe™ Lost Pet Service
- Designer tag selections
- A $25 voucher from Ren’s Pets (more places to come!)
- Access to great dog safety and wellness products
- Online and offline custom support via DocuPet
- Tags are valid until the date of purchase the following year!
- Renew your license up to 6 weeks prior to expiry date.
- All Dog License Fees $40
- Replacement Tags $10
- The Senior’s Discount is $20.00.
(Must Provide Proof of Age)
You will also be sent an email with a receipt and link to activate your online account. Where you can upload more information about your pet.
If you do not have an email address your activation code will be mailed to you along with your tag. Please note that you will need a valid email to setup your online DocuPet profile.
Tags can also be purchased in person using cash, credit or debit at the Cambridge & District Humane Society during our open, public hours. We do not accept cheque as a form of payment for licences.
This site is for dog tags renewal sales within the City of Cambridge only. If you are located in another township, (such as Puslinch, North Dumfries, etc.) please contact your township office regarding licensing.